Creativity is a tricky thing to learn and perhaps even harder to teach. What works for one may make no sense to another. That goes for students and tutors. Perhaps the best way to address this is to get stuck in, make stuff, and then try and work out what happened.
Join OCA tutors Bryan Eccleshall (Painting/Drawing) and Priscilla Edwards (Textiles) for a day long workshop at Sheffield’s Millennium Galleries designed to help students of all levels and across all disciplines explore how ideas can be generated through a process of making and remaking.
Using work displayed at the Graves and Millennium Galleries as starting points you will explore and develop practical strategies for making work. Your initial response may be to draw, write, take photographs, or even shoot films. You will then develop this raw material on your own or in collaboration with others as the day progresses. There will also be short illustrated talks by Priscilla and Bryan to help you along.
Although this workshop encourages you to draw, you will be free to photograph, build, trace, sew, argue, discuss, film, and generally mess around with the implications of what is produced. It is hoped that you will leave with an idea of how revisiting work and folding it into other work – perhaps someone else’s – can enrich the making experience. You may not finish anything, but you should end up with some interesting questions.
You are also encouraged to bring examples of your own work to use source material. It would be especially interesting to discuss unfinished or unsatisfactory work that still fascinates or bothers you.
Some materials will be provided, but feel free to bring anything you think you might need. Be prepared to make a bit of a mess and dress appropriately.
This workshop is suitable for students studying at any level as it is designed for students to build on their skill base already developed through prior learning. Invention and openness to experimentation is the focus, not technical ability.
- Date: 25 May 2019
- Venue: The Activity Room close the Millennium Galleries in central Sheffield.
- We have the Activity Room from 10am – 5pm. Activities will get going in earnest at 10.30am and we will finish at 4pm, which gives us a chance to clear up.
- Places are limited to 23 participants.
- There are coffee shops / shops nearby, but you may want to bring a packed lunch. There will not be a formal break.
- The venue is a short uphill walk from the rail and bus stations. There are also car parks nearby (the one on Arundel Gate – S1 2PN – opposite the Crucible Theatre is the closest)
- Facilities & access: http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/museums/millennium-gallery/planning-a-visit/facilities-and-access
Register your interest in attending by completing the booking form. There is a £10 booking fee for this event
Image: Bryan Eccleshall